Sunday, June 29, 2008

10K PB 33.38 - Dunshaughlin 10km

Shocked and very surprised with my PB today at the Dunshaughlin 10k. I've had two huge nights on the beer and I wasn't feeling great all day. On Thursday night, I went out for beers with my Da and 3 Brothers (Big Phil, Derek and Christopher). After about 7 pints of guinness I told Phil for the next round I'll have a glass of beer. He was having none it (lines like no brother of mine is going to drink a glass, your embrassing the family etc..you'd have to know Phil to understand). Anyhow Friday was spent recovering and I went into the city to meet up with Jo and Ken for dinner and promised myself that I'd only have a few drinks. Kidding myself as we hit Brogans and Jo started to talk to the lead singer of the Frames Glen Hansard and recent oscar winner for the indie flick Once. We ended up talking until Brogans closed and Glen invited us back to a late bar. We finished up at 3am which meant Ken & Jo only had 2 hours sleep as they were due to catch a flight to the UK. They missed the flight - sorry guys and I was dying all day. So I figured I'd skip the 10k but Big Phil my Bro convinced me to head down and give it a shot.
Went throu' the first Km in 3.20 and 3k in 10 mins flat. I felt great I couldn't believe it, I kept an eye on my garmin and was keen to keep the pace at 3.20. Went throu' 5k in 16.42 and I knew there was a few hills in the 2nd half but I felt really strong pushing up the hills and caught quite a few people on the long drag up to 8k. I knew at this stage the pb was in the bag. There was a bit of a head wind but I just tucked in behind a guy and put a kick in with 300m left to cross the line in 33.38 - a massive pb. The course is offically IAAF measured so it will be nice to move further away from Durante on the striders list ;) Heading out for more beers now..

8 comments:

Gill said...

I'm shocked, after your photos on Friday night, thought you'd skip the 10k.

Great PB - bring on GoldCoast!!

Superflake said...

Fantastic run mate. That Guinness must really agree with you.

Unknown said...

Seems to be a common theme emerging here of heavy booze followed by PBs. Great result. You've hit a rich seam of form. Thank god I've got jet lag on my side for GC.

Amanda said...

I'm going to out myself as a reader of your blog in order to say congratulations, and enjoy the additional beers!

Amanda (Amjan/Mrs Fats)

Serg said...

That's an awesome Result Mate, Well Done !!

Looks like next weekend is going to be a HuRTS PB fest.

Keep up the good work

Serg

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Thanks guys, I just need to keep drinking until the GC which should be relatively easy ;)
Delighted you are reading the blog Amanda, to be honest I was jealous of all the posts you put on Tom's blog ;) Tell Fats I'm coming for him. Tell them all...

Anonymous said...

Dave Well done on a great run. It must be the beers. There is a pattern emerging here. See you at GC for another PB. Richard

Tim said...

Congratulations Dave, Great run, we will be betting the $50 on you beating Tom next at next seasons Striders at this rate?
By the way was the course another of those 9.6k measurements? :)
Speak to you next week

Tim