Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Race For The Prize

On Monday, went for an easy 12k run with Mike, Tom, Serg, Durante, Muz and Ray. Lots of talk about the 4k relays at the weekend both Tom and Serg ran very well.

Out with the Hurt Squad today for 6*5 mins off 90 sec rest. Most of crew opted for 8 reps I decided on 6 as I am keen to run well at 10k on Saturday. To be honest, a lactate threshold session is not ideal prep the week of a 10k race so I held back and ran with Enda for 4 of the 6 reps. Running with Enda at 3.33 pace felt very easy so much so we could chat all the way. For one of the reps Tim asked me to pace him at 3.30 pace, he fell off towards the end but he's making great progress after taking quite a large amount of time off after the London marathon. Mike Conway is flying and I'm confident he will maintain his form and dip well under 35 mins on Sat.
I am really looking forward to the outcome of the race between the 3 front runners - Tom, Serg and Tucks. I am predicting Tucks will take the race out. Why! he is a machine and he ran very controlled today and was clearly focussed on the prize at the weekend. It is very hard to separate Tom and Serg. Serg will be a little fresher after missing his long run on the weekend but I think if Tom completely backs off for the rest of the week his endurance will tell. I am not sure Tom can back off. Can he run an easy 8k tomorrow at 5m/k, can he hold back on the fast sections of the gate to gate on Thurs, can he take Friday off. I am not sure he can. Anyhow time will tell. If he backs off i suspect he will catch Serg with less than a km to go, weather permitting both will go very close to 32 mins and might very well dip into the magic 31 territory. It's a pity Durante is away as I would expect him to run early 33s. I will take it easy for the rest of the week as I am hoping to have a crack at my pb.
Have a look this, the flaming lips 'race for the prize'. Super song, Serg is at the front with no top on and wires attached to him. The HuRT squad are in hot pursuit in the yellow costumes. Tucks is at the back with the beach ball...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the video!
I'm predicting Serg will hang on and Tucks will just fail to catch him. All depends on how much Serg pushes himself in trying to stick with Chris T. If he runs sensibly like he did on Saturday he'll have a great race.
You're right about my inability to taper - certainly for a Striders 10km. They come around every 4-5 weeks so can't see the point. I'll be racing the first 4 weekends in June and if I taper each time I'll miss the training I need for Gold Coast - which is the real aim.

Tucks said...

Guy with the beach umbrella hey? Maybe I'll try that on Sat

Tucks said...

...sorry, beach ball