Thursday, June 26, 2008

Running in my home town

Tues: Out with my youngest Bro Derek for an easy run. We headed off down to the Balheary football pitches (where I played soccer as a kid) and included a few laps of the pitches in Finns (where I played Gaelic as a kid). The pace was easy (around 4.40 km/m) until we decide to head back home. As I was just off the plane I didn't want to push but I couldn't let the young lad get home before me. For the last km the pace dropped to 3.20 km/m and with 400m left I just couldn't drop him. He put the foot down and left me for dead. All up around 11k.
Can't really blame the jet lag as I felt fine running, all I can say is that it won't happen again. Fair play to him, he was telling the whole family that I couldn't keep up with him.

Wed morning: Didn't sleep great, so I woke young Derek at 7am and told him I was heading out for an easy one. He jumped out of the bed and off we went same route as Tuesday. It was a beautiful morning and it was great running on the soft green grass of home. I had the garmin with me and I was keen to keep the pace a little faster than yesterday (4.20 pace), we wound up with around 1.5k left, I couldn't believe he was still with me with 500m left, I put another kick it and thank God I dropped him. He was shattered at the end. I told him I was fine :)

Wed afternoon: Decided to head up to the airport and get a track session in. I ran from home, can't believe it's only 6k from the house and opted for a pryamid session of sorts. There was a gale blowing so it was pretty difficult out there but I enjoyed running on the soft springy track.
3 by 400m (60 sec recovery), 3 by 800m (2 mins recovery), 2 by 1200m (2 min recovery), 1 by 800m, (60 sec) 1 by 400m).
400s were run in 74 sec apart from the last one in 69 sec (the young fella showed up as the side of the track so I really pushed the last one). 800s in 2.35 and the 1.2k in 3.50). I was glad the bro was there as I took the lift back home. Meeting up with Enda in the morning for a MLR....

2 comments:

Tim said...

Dave. Letting little brother beat you...your slipping. Is Dublin airpor that small these days they have a running track around the outside of it for you to do your 400s? :)
Enjoy your break.
cheers
Tim

Dura said...

Dave isn't your youngest brother only 12 yrs old......you have lost your speed

BTW go easy on the brown stuff....conway is flying and will run 75.30 for GC half

Enjoy your holiday (and Derek teaching you a lesson in running)

Dura