Saturday, June 7, 2008

Behind every beautiful thing, there is some kind of pain

Took it relatively easy in the lead up to 10k race in North. Completely backed off for the HuRT session on Thursday by modifying the session to 400s with plenty of recovery.
The good prep was nearly ruined when I stayed back at work last night and had 4-5 glasses of champers. Got text from Enda who wished me the best and just said to myself 'easy tiger...put the glass down and get home'. I did promise my good friend Tom that I would smash Easy Tiger aka (Gary Howard) who had recently broke the coveted 34 min barrier in Sandown. Tom put the bet down and I did not want to disappoint (more to ensure there was food on the table for his lovely family).
Pretty nervous on the way out to North Head, warmed up with Tim Lindop and Tom. Did a few strides to freak Easy Tiger out...I was showing some speed. Tim told me to go over to Easy Tiger and tell him 'are you ok? your not looking well". Ok, it's not that funny but Tim and I were in stitches.
Just before the start Uncle Dave asked me if I was up for it. I told him I was pumped. The plan was to stick to Dave all the way and that's how it panned out. Dave was fantastic, he kept encouraging me, telling me when to push, when to stride out. Biggest lesson I got from Dave today was that you need 100% concentration all the way not just at the KM markers. Mate - I really appreciate your pacing today! We went through 5k in 17.02 and I was feeling pretty good, I was nervous about the 6 - 8.5k as there are a number of hills but having Dave with me ensured I kept a steady pace. I can't recall anyone coming by me after 3k apart from Michael Killacoat (at about 8k). I got to 9k a little over 31 mins and then pushed home from there to finish with 34.16 a 10 sec PB. Very happy with the result and delighted that Tom will have food for the kids next week as Easy Tiger faded in the 2nd half of the race.
Some great runs out there today, Serg who was dropped by Tucks at 6k managed to catch him at around 8.5k and come home with a super 32.3x. Tom was a good bit slower today but he felt heavy-legged before the race and his lack of taper didn't help. I don't understand Mike Conways result, I find it difficult to keep with him during our squad training. He'll bounce back and will get under 35 mins. Mike Race banged out another pb - well done mate, Kate Coburn ran a sub 40 mins for the first time and my sis-in-law Gerso continues to impress with another min off her pb. Amazing to think Gerso has gone from 57 min last Sept to 47 mins today.
My pb's been a long time coming (Nov '06) but I am feeling a lot more confident about my running now and plan to run sub 34 on the road to Berlin. I am really looking forward to the half in the Gold Coast and will head down to Tassie at the end of July for a fast 10k.

2 comments:

Superflake said...

Congratulations Dave. Excellent result from all your hard training.

David Criniti said...

Super effort mate. Good to see you lift to the required level over the last k, when you were already hurting big time.

Unc