Sunday, June 22, 2008

400 and a long Tempo

Saturday: Ran down to Rushcutters for a 400s session. It was a beautiful day for running. The plan was for 8 reps off 45 secs. The first 3 reps were run in 71 sec and the remaining reps were run in 70 secs. The reps felt pretty comfortable and I considered doing some more reps but felt more would only compromise my Sunday tempo session.
In the afternoon, headed down to the gym for some maintenance work focusing on my core and incorporated some stretching and light weights.

Sunday: Met up with some of the HuRT squad (Serg, Durante, Steve Thurston, Charlie Low, Tim Lindop, Mike Conway, Terence & JC) for a long tempo run (16k). I managed a 5.6k warm-up. The first loop was lead out by Tim L and Serg went to the front after about 5k and we got to the 8k mark in 30.15 (3.49 km/m pace). Serg then turned me and asked what pace now? I told him I would be happy if I could keep 3.40 pace, he obviously didn't listen to as he brought down to 3.35 pace, the group managed to stay together until 9.5k, at that stage Terence, Tim L fell off the back of the group, Mike fell off around 10k, Serg kept pushing it at the front, at about 11.5k I fell off the back. As we cut through the park the group of 4 created a 30m gap on me. As they went up the hill Durante fell off the back and the group of 3 managed to create a 15m gap but Durante to his credit closed the gap and managed to stay with the guys. I tried to stay focused and kept the pace at 3.33 which was pleasing as the final 2k has a gradual incline to the finish. Ended up running 58.48 (a send lap of 28.27) Mike finish around 30 secs behind, Tim and Terrence were about 90 secs behind. Serg finished in front with a very fast last km (his 2nd lap was 27.20), Charlie was just behind him, Durante finish about 30 secs ahead of me (28 min 2nd rep) and I think Steve Thurston finished just ahead of Durante. Long tempos are tough but they will be a very important part of my training for Berlin.
3k cool down for 24k all up. Another good week of running. That's two consecutive weeks of 120k plus..

No comments: