Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mona Fartlek

Met up with the HuRT Squad (Durante, Mike, Serg, Anthony, Greg, Richard High, Fats, Mike Race, Enda, Judge Drev, Chris Graham and a few others I don't know) for the Mona Fartlek. Noticeable absentee was Tom and I haven't seen Tucks in a while.

Strange but true in that I've never ran a Mona Fartlek so it was new experience for me and it showed.

The plan is to run 90 (90), 90 (90), 60 (60), 60 (60), 60 (60), 60 (60), 30 (30), 30 (30), 30 (30), 30 (30), 30 (30), 30 (30).

You run the un-bracketed times hard and the bracketed times are apparently a slow jog. I went out too quickly and ran side by side with Fats from the Opera house gates until after the Boy Charlton pool. Serg, Richard High, Anthony and the Judge were about 100m in front at the turnaround. The average pace of the fast reps up to this point approx 3.20k/m. The slow jog up to this point approx 3.48 pace. I was surprised that I increased my pace for the fast reps to 3.17 avg (but there are some downhill sections and obviously the reps are shorter) on the way back to the Opera House. The slow jog on the way back crept from 3.50 to 4.25 for some reps. I was glad to get back to the Opera House gates and I covered 5.59 all up. Will need to focus on consistent pacing for the slow jogs next time. Richard High who is doing the Ironman in a few weeks looked in great shape at the front.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good work mate. The "slow jogs" are supposed to be floats. Wouldn't be surprised if the 4 upfront were not running the fast sections any faster than you were but were pushing the floats a lot more.