Sunday, July 27, 2008

Tourist Trot

Out for a long run with the Sydney Striders after watching the Aussies smash the All Blacks in Homebush last night. The scheduled run was the the 28.5k Tourist Trot. Durante and I ran from my house in Surry Hills and we took off from Centennial Park with Tom, Fats, Steve Jackson, Cam Arnold, Chris, Peter & Gretta Truscott and Keith Bateman. The pace early on was 4.28 pace and didn't really vary as we left the park towards the harbour bridge via Edgecliff & Kings cross. I had some pain at the side of my stomach and was hoping the pit stop at the Siebel on Hickson Rd would alleviate it but I couldn't shake it. We crossed the bridge and ran up a few hills on the North Shore, I struggled up the hills which surprised me but I just tried to keep contact with the group. As we looped back around back onto the harbour bridge, the pace dropped with Tom leading from the front. As we cut through circular quay, I told Durante that the stomach pain was still there but I was determined to run through it as I am not going to stop in the middle of the Berlin marathon. The pace dropped again as we covered 1k loop from the Opera hse gates to farm cove in 3.40, this split the group with myself, Tom, Keith and Durante staying together as we entered Woolloomooloo. As we approach the hill on Wylde st (Potts pt), Truscott made a comment about pushing the hill, he dropped everyone as he powered up the hill, on the flat at the top Keith came by me and caught Tom and the three guys ran off into the distance. I looked at my garmin and the avg pace had dropped to 4.15 which was pretty quick for a long run especially when you factor in the hills. As I ran towards Moore park, Durante caught up with me and we ran back to the finsh. I grabbed some jellys and ran an additional 4k in centennial park as I needed to cover 34k. Pretty tired at the finish and disappointed that I was dropped but in saying that, I am coming off the back of two big weeks and today's long run is definitely good prep for Berlin. All up 34.8k. Looks like I have stiff competition in Berlin with Haile toeing the line me with me...

1 comment:

Superflake said...

Good hard long run Dave. All good for Berlin.