Sunday, April 19, 2009

Running a marathon in my hometown...

Sat:
Of for an easy 12k with Durante in and around Centennial Park, got home and checked to see how Ben went in his 5k track race in the US. He smashed his pb by 12 secs running a super 13.25. Awesome result which sees him getting a 'b' qualifier for the world champs in Berlin. For more details here
Sun:
Out for a long run with Durante, Mike and Thurston. We ran 8k in centennial avg'ing 4.30 pace, we pushed the Wollarha Hill and from there on Thurston and I dropped the pace (avg'ing 3.52) until the 5k marker in the C2S. We looped back to Durante and Mike and then pushed up Heartbreak Hill, Thurston dropped me early on and I struggled up the hill getting to the 10k marker in the C2S (avg'ing 4.05 pace). The weather was terrible with heavy rain falling, we ran into Bondi and then push the 2k out of Bondi. My legs were very heavy at this stage, Thurston pushed up the hill and Durante was 50m behind him, Mike and I ran more or less together (i told him at the start if he wanted to break 35 min he needed to push the hills). I was glad to get back to Centennial just shy of 30k avging 4.17 which was decent considering the rain, hills and I was pretty tired at the start of the run.
Got home and checked the Canberra results, surprised to see Tim Rowe came 2nd in 2.27 (a slow time considering his ability) and even more surprised to see my mate Dave Criniti win in 2.26. He was planning on only running 26k as a training run but obviously felt very good and continued on to take out the race. Well done Dave! Great to see Blue Dog break 3hrs in 2.59:29. Anthony Coburn ran 3.06 and will have another crack later this yr. Some other great results in Canberra -my work colleague Anthony Henry ran a super debut in 3.45. Eamo ran the 50k in 3.55 and Terence and Clyde cruised through the race in 3.06 using it as a training run. I've got strange mates..
Looks like I will go back to Ireland later this year and introduce Cara to the family. I know nobody believes me but it's looking increasingly likely that I will be in Ireland when the Dublin marathon is on...thoughts are turning to Dublin...bring it on..

No comments: