Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sayonara, Auf Wiedersehen, Arrivederci, Au Revoir, Adeus

You got to be honest with yourself in this sport. 19.03 was not the time I was looking for in JP Morgan. I actually thought I'd run close to 18.30. Fortunately I had Dave Clark and Michael Killacoat in the team to ensure we took out the men's team comp. I obviously had knee issues going into the race but I wasn't in the right head space from the start which by the way I nearly missed. I had to sprint 300m from the Kiosk to actually make the start. I continue to repeat the same mistakes, I am not sure why I took 2 Berocca before the start of the race as I've never taken them before any other race. Anyhow, my stomach was in knots from the start.
I'll quit the whinging, great runs by my Macquarie colleagues, it's really hard to believe how Dave Clark could compete in a half ironman on the Sunday (6th place as well) and run a sub 18 min in the JP Morgan. Run of the day goes to Tom, it gives us all hope to see him get better and better. He's put in the hard yards and deserves all the plaudits he received last night. Poor Durante...that's all I can say mate...Timmy was right...you looked pale before the race. Enda had a great run of 18.45 and his streak over me continues. Kate Coburn ran very well 3rd place overall for the girls. Well what about the winner...Steve Thurston! Super front running. It was great to tell people in the office that I run with the guy most days.
Got the knee checked out and it's all good news, well there is no structural damage (ligaments and tendons are fine), just have Patella femoral Pain Syndrome which was caused by a direct blow to the knee (you really don't want to know how it happened). A bit of strength work in the quads will sort me out.
That's it for me now for while, it's been a great year of running. After a injury plagued 2007, I got the opportunity to run 2 big city marathons. I ran a 10k and C2S PB. Looking forward to 2009 already, I will be targeting PBs in the half and the marathon. Looks like I need to hit the Gold Coast to settle a score....

4 comments:

Superflake said...

Good run Dave considering the knee. Let's hope for an even faster 2009. Cheers mate.

saint said...

Please explain re the knee.

Unknown said...

Mate, it was a gutsy run considering the injury, but we wouldn't have expected anything less. Just make sure you beat KMK and DC5 in New York.

Anonymous said...

Son, your plainly still struggling after your marathon and you need some rest. Rest is important in this game, as much as those crazy sessions you do. Well done anyway.