Sunday, January 29, 2012

Long Saturday & Recovery Sunday

Sat: Out for a long run with Timmy, Conway & Durante. I was a few minutes late and on approach the guys started running away from me :). The plan was 32k which included 2k run from home, 10k loop in centennial including the Woolahra Hill. I was also keen to run the each loop a tad quicker.

Loop 1 (12k) 4.30 k/m
Loop 2 (10k) 4.24 k/m
Loop 3 (10k) 4.21 k/m

On the run over I was a little concerned as the legs felt a little heavy. Pretty uneventful first loop. Half way through the 2nd loop, I lifted the pace and it was great to hear Durante blowing hard and Conway who after slagging my Tempo performance was asking me to slow down. Durante pulled the plug at the Kiosk, Conway surprisingly made it up Woolahra Hill and Timmy was hanging on for dear life! I went solo on the last loop as Conway and Timmy decided to back off the pace and just run a loop of the park.
The last loop was tough, I was just glad to get through it. For those that have had the opportunity to read Timmy's blog I am not even going to try to defend myself. You all know Timmy, he tend to blow things out of proportion. Conway for one was laughing and joking about my chances of running within 60 secs of Tom next week. In relation to the soft rolls, that's all Timmy talked about. Stuff like 'do you think we can get rolls like that in the eastern suburbs' 'i really like your bacon & eggs but I'm not a huge fan of your bread'...anyhow i could go on but I won't.

Sun: 11k recovery run to Neilsen's Park, again the legs felt heavy so I am going to incorporate an easy 20-30 mins run 5-6 hours after my long run to get the blood flowing again and improve my recovery.

I am relatively happy with progress during Jan, my endurance is improving after some decent long runs but I am struggling during the longer lactate threshold sessions. I never really have any issues with V02 sessions & I will continue to use them quite sparingly next month. In saying that in the lead up to a race I do like to focus on faster leg turnover so next week I will complete an 800 session on Tues & a 400 on Thurs.
My weekly avg during Jan was 110km, for Feb I will increase that slightly to 120k. No major changes but I will incorporate a MLR on Wed an continue to focus on tempo sessions & include some double days.