Sunday, February 8, 2009

Striders 10K Lane Cove 34.42 (4th)

Pleased with my first race back after Dubai. Given the hot conditions and the hilly nature of the course it was a good result but not a great one. To be honest, I wasn't really up for the race and nearly didn't go.
Rocked up with Tim and there were lots of the HuRT squad (Durante, Tom, Richard High, Matt Kaley, Tim, Pete Walker & Eoin) Tom had a tough task of pacing the 35 min group. I felt good for the first 3km and was sitting in front of the 35 min group (which had Richard High, Terence, Matt and many others who just held on for the first 10 to 15 mins). After about 3.5k I was running along side Durante, Tim Ashby, Tim Cochrane). At some stage between 3k and 5k I passed Darren Moyle who went out far too quick. The 3 boys got away from me and I was running a few yards behind them. Got to 5k in 17.32 and drifted further back as we climbed the hill to the turnaround. Coming down the hill I didn't feel much better but kept the boys in sight and started to feel good from 6.5k onwards. Picked up Ashby around 8.5k and got hit 9k in 31.32 a few yards behind Cochrane. Finished strongly and happy to see Durante get 3rd place. Tom paced the group well coming home in 34.52, it's a pity the boys fell off the back from 6k onwards. The heat and the nature of the course was definitely a factor. I fully expect Terence to crack 35 mins next mth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Striders 10k in 34.42 for 4th..you should ADD on 'As UNFINANCIAL' poor old Jim Moody spent all weekend sorting out the results.I partly feel responsible though as it was me who cleaned you out in the betting stakes last year with our side bets. I will post on the HuRTS email asking for donations to help out:)
Cheers
Tim

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Good auld Tim, you told me not to worry about not having a bib. Just ask for a new one. I followed your orders and just look how it ends up. Of note, I am fully paid up member. You can go a check the Striders site. Given striders have not updated the site, I am thinking Jim doesn't believe my time ;)

Unknown said...

You're right - Jim probably doesn't believe it was you. Maybe he was at the Coolrunning 5km last month and thought Dave Kane could run a 9.8km in sub-33 and had a flat stomach?