Saturday, May 31, 2008

16.52 5k time trial

Out for the 5k coolrunning challenge, didn't sleep great and ended up nearly sleeping out for the race. Arrived late and was surprised to see Tucks and Tim Cochrane at the start. We chatted and agreed to aim for 17 mins. I knew this was way too slow for Tucks but he seemed happy to use the time trial as a short tempo run. I only glanced at my watch once or twice in the early kms and I was running relatively comfortable at 3.20 pace. Tim broke away after 2k and Tucks was happy enough to sit in front of me. I didn't look at my watch until the end as Tucks at 3k and 4k turned back and told me we were running 3.20 pace as per the garmin. Crossed the line in 16.52, 4 secs down on Tucks and 10 secs down on Tim. Obviously the garmins were out slightly out but it makes no difference as I was very happy to go under 17 again. This year I've struggled to run quicker than 17.30 on this course so it was good to have a bit of speed in the legs - just need Tucks to pace next time as well - Thanks mate!
Gillo (23.36) and Gerso (23.15) continued their PB streak by knocking a good 40 secs off the 5k times. They are looking very good for the Gold Coast in July. Go the girls...

No comments: