Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Envelope Day

Out with the HuRT Squad on envelope day at Macquarie is not a good idea. Anyhow I arrived late as a result of a few glasses of champagne to celebrate the occasion. Ended up 6* 5 mins off 90 secs. The drink went to my head as I decided to say at the front with Tom, Durante, Serg and Charlie Low for 4 of the reps. The pace was 3.18 as per my garmin. Legs were feeling pretty heavy and I decided to drop back for the 5th rep and ran it with Mike in 3.29. For the last rep just tried to keep it together and ran a little quicker with the final rep in 3.23. Tom looked a little tried today which is no surprise after his effort at the weekend. Serg is coming back to form and has 8 weeks to the GC to prove his class and i've no doubt he will. Durante looked like a cheetah today, I can't see anyone stop him over the last 400m of a race. His endurance is coming along nicely and Tom must be worried. I gave a number of books to Durante at the weekend, I was disappointed that he didn't read Noakes but very impressed that he read Herb Elliot's 'winning attitudes' and was able to tell me why Herb would always beat his nemisis Merv Lincoln. When Durante runs over the top of Tom in N Head in Sept, I won't put the $50 in my envelope, I'm happy to give it charity...

No comments: