Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The return from Ireland

Just back from Ireland, had a great time with family and friends and even ended up running a few races.
First up was the Fingal 10k (22nd July), which was run through my hometown Swords. The race was part of the Dublin marathon series so there were well over 3,000 runners in attendance. It was a very windy day which made conditions tough. There were lots of flat sections but Pinnock Hill in the 1st km made the 1st km slow (3.50). The wind was on back for the next 2 km and I covered them averaging 3.10 pace. With lots of twists and turns you basically made up time with the wind on your back but lost it in the next km. Unfortunately the stretch in the back half course made it very difficult as I was running into the wind up a hill for 2k. In the end I finished up with a time of 35.10 and 24th overall. I got a $50 sports voucher for coming 3rd in my age category.

Lusk 12k (29th July)

With about 200 people in attendance, this race was a 3 by 4k loop. Again conditions were far from ideal with a strong south westerly. Went to front early on and never looked back, there were 2 guys sitting on back for the first loop but gapped them on the second loop and ended up winning the race by about 30 secs in 42.10. It’s a different ball game when you are at the front as you are always wondering how far people are behind you. Ended up winning a nice food hamper with a few bottles of wine.

Clew Bay Half (4th August)

This course was advertised as ‘challenging and exhilarating, it’s winding roads and ever changing scenery making it a very enjoyable run’. About 180 people in attendance and not surprisingly it was a very windy day. Went to the front with group of 3 runners. We went through 5k in 18 flat and from about 6km we start to hit some challenging hillls. I put a gap into the guys around 7k. Went through 10k in 36.55. The wind was apparent but I was thinking it’s not too bad until we came off the back roads onto a main coast road around 13k. Well from there it’s felt like the hardest 8k I’ve ever run. I was running into a crazy head wind. My km splits shot out to 4.30 and it was a case of just hanging on. The lead car slowed down in front and the guy gave me a bottle of water. At that stage I felt like asking him to just sit on front of me to give me some wind cover. I had a look around a few times and kept thinking this is it but I ended up hanging on and getting the win in 82.15. Nice prizes in these small country race, I got a 100 euro plus a voucher for 100 euro, backpack and a few tee-shirts.
Opted not to run the C2S as I wasn’t feeling great with jetlag. The kids were fab on the flights but have struggled to adapt to the new time zone. The races in Ireland were the only real training I got in so I will start to build the kms slowly.

On Sunday arvo I got out for an easy 70 mins with Chalks. Never really felt comfortable. On Monday I venture out for an easy 10k with the HuRT squad.

By Tuesday I was feeling better so got out for the 4 by 10 min efforts. I ran in to work this morning and got out for a 70 min run with Sammy, MC, Enda and company for jog around centennial.

1 comment:

Superflake said...

Congrats on the 2 wins Dave. Nice prize pickups to.