Monday, November 26, 2007

From Tassie to Centennial Park

Easy 10km in Orford Tasmania (Sat 24th Nov)

Flew into Hobart on Friday evening and drove 75km to the beautiful costal hamlet of Orford. We were down in Orford with Liv's parents and my brother in law (Chris) and two sister in laws (Ger and Gill).
Up early and went for a nice easy 10km with Chris. There was a nice big hill on the way back to house and i pushed the hill at the end. I'm beginning to like hills again. The way i see it they are good for building strength in the lower legs and also improves lactate tolerance. The girls also got out for a run and when we all got back to the house we had a nice big breakfast.

I was planning a tempo session but decided against it as I felt Friday's run back form Balls Head was a like a tempo session for me. Just a nice easy stroll for Tom (even with a hangover).


Rest Day (Sun 25th Nov)

Well I was suppose to get long run in. Chris and I planned the route. We got up a 6.20am and drove 16km to Wielangta state forest. Not a soul in sight as we drove along a very rocky road. We parked the car and got out to have a look at the track. We ran for about 5 mins and then realised the track was far too difficult to run through. Got back into the car and went back to house. Disappointed we couldn't get the run in as I firmly believe the long run is the most important run in the training week. On the plus side, Tasmania has blown me away with its' sheer beauty.

29km (Mon 26th Nov)

After only 5 hours sleep, I got up at 5am and got on the road to get my long run in. Took it nice a easy until i got to Centennial park. The park was more or less empty and the temps were conducive to running. It felt a little weird running out there for the first hour. It was great to have the company of Radiohead's - In Rainbows, which added to eerie atmosphere. After 6am, there were a lot more runners pounding the pavement like me.

I got into a nice rhythm and started to bang out 4.38m/km. I ran 7 loops at a very consistent pace. Took it easy for 2km back home. To be honest, I surprised how easy it was out there today. 12 weeks left to Tokyo. Not sure how i'll go. At this stage the plan is to continue my pb streak in the marathon. Every marathon i've ran to date i've ran a pb. So anything under 2.46 and I'll be happy. On Friday, Tom felt Tokyo was too early for me. We'll see....

No comments: