Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Shelter from the Storm

Out with the HuRT Squad today for 12 * 3 mins with a 60 sec recovery. Tom was absence again but there was a big crew (Serg, Durante, Tim C, Springer, Tucks, Pete Walker, Greg, Brad, Adam, Mike Race and a few new faces).
Judge Drev went straight to the front for each rep (running 3.10 appox). I settled in the front with Serg and Durante for most of the reps. Fats also hovered near the front as did Tim C. There was a bit of a headwind from the Opera Hse gates but in saying that the weather was perfect for running. Serg pushed the last two reps but I stuck to the 3.20 avg pace as I was thinking about the Novice 10k race at the weekend.
The pace of the reps were as follows 3.21, 3.23, 3.23 3.22, 3.25, 3.22, 3.19, 3.20, 3.20, 3,18, 3.16, 3.15 (The rep pace was inconsistent with Serg's garmin reading. I do recall vatman mentioning the 305 was more accurate. See comparison. To be honest it makes no real difference, as the last time I did this session I average 3.30 pace on my garmin and I only completed 10 reps so I am happy with the improvement.
Some points of note, Serg is getting stronger and I can see a breakthrough coming in the next month or so. Durante was very strong today and I think he will run sub 34 on Sat if the weather is good. Not sure what's happening on the weather front at the moment. Really need this rain to stop if I am going to run a decent time on Saturday. As some of you might know already, Berlin is calling.....

4 comments:

Superflake said...

You better run fast at the Novice as I'm taking photo's. Berlin sounds good.

Unknown said...

Berlin schmerlin. It's all about 10kms mate. Marathons are for old men. One day when you're less naive you'll realise this.
Tom (having had a few beers).

Tucks said...

10k races are just speedwork for marathons. Berlin is great, did it in '03 and recovered with a HUGE beer and steak...can't beat that.

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Totally agree Tucks, I plan to work on my speed between now and Berlin. I will ramp up my training for Berlin after the Gold Coast half. Hopefully I the way to Berlin I will run a few pbs on the way. Tom is too scared to run a marathon.