Sunday, May 20, 2012

On Track - Sydney Half in 76.14 - 36th overall

Glad to get that one out of the way! It was a tough auld second half of the race. We were well beaten by the English but I did manage to stay 1 min 45 secs ahead of auld Tim Lindop.
The plan was to run 75.40 well that's what I felt I would run going into the race. No watch as I forgot to recharge the garmin so I was running blind for the majority of the race apart from the clock at 10k which I hit at 35.10. So where did it all go wrong, at 5km someone in the group mentioned we went through 5k in 16.30 which put me off a little as I thought it was too quick and slowed as a result. [mistake number 1 - never slow down especially when you are feeling comfortable].
Anyhow I actually felt quite strong throughout the race with very few people passing me. I recall Clyde at about 9k, Fenton and Claire Geraghty at 13k and from there on in I was on my own. I don't necessarily think I struggled in the last 5k but it was difficult to maintain pace with the undulating nature of the course. I know Tom is a believer in not wearing a watch but to be honest, I reckon for a half and full it's essential as if you run a poor km you can push the next if you know what I mean. [mistake number 2 no watch].
All in all, I am not going to be too hard on myself as I think it's a relatively tough course and 4 weeks ago I worked pretty hard to grab a sub 80 min in Canberra. My training is going well and I feel I am on track for the Gold Coast. With 6 weeks left, I just need to put my head down and get the kms in...
Some great times today, I actually think Tom ran the race of the day with 72.38. Tim ran average :) only kidding, he ran very well to hold off Enda in 78.36. Laura ran very well to improve on her Canberra time.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Congrats Kanser, great run mate and all looking good for the Gold Coast. Even taking $50 of a poor Timmy in the process.

Superflake said...

Good run Dave. Glad you beat Timmy. He was getting too cocky over his 'win' in Canberra.