Sunday, September 28, 2008

I expected something, something better than before, I expected something more...

The title is from a favorite band of mine - the national and it pretty much sums up how the Berlin marathon went for me today. Obviously the race didn't go as planned. My form leading into the race (CS2 and numerous 10ks) indicated that I was capable of 2.40. I even modified my training to incorporate longer runs, faster long run finishes, more tempo runs etc...so what went wrong!
Well I definitely got my nutrition wrong (I should of listened to Phil Dove). Just after half way I vomited and from 22k I had terrible stomach cramps so I ran/walked to the finish line. I initially thought I could get rid of the cramps but after 25k I knew I just couldn’t shake them.
At this stage every man and his dog started to pass me and i considered pulling out around 28k but given i've completed all the marathons that I've entered I struggled onto the finish line. And what a spectacular finish, with throngs of supporters cheering the runners to the finish line.
Won't go into the detail but I obviously have a problem with gels. I don't think the powerbar 45 mins before the start helped me either. After 2k I just didn't feel right. I possibly overloaded on carbs in the 3 days leading up to the race. I've taken endura optimiser and magnesium before but something upset the stomach. I didn't have any issues in Tokyo this yr but I do recall have issues in Auckland.
I also never felt comfortable during my 3 week taper, the easy runs felt a little harder than normal in saying that the intervals sessions felt easier. My last session (4 by 800s) on the Wed were run in 2.25 avg and it felt comfortable.
Anyhow, Tom texted me after the race and felt I deserved more than 2.54. True and this made me think of one of my favorite movies 'Unforgiven'. In the final scene, Will Munny (Eastwood) is about to blow Dagett's (Hackmans) head off. Dagett felt he didn't deserve to go out like this; he started to ramble on about being a good citizen etc. Munny retorted 'it's got nothing to do with deserving'. This holds true for the marathon. That is the beauty of the beast. You can prepare all you want but there are so many variables in play that can hinder your performance.
After the race i said 'never again' but as I write this I know I won't be content until I run 2.40. Lessons will be learnt and I plan to come back bigger, stronger and better than before.
Finally I would like to thank everyone for all the support in the days leading up to the race. Obviously, the HuRT Squad (Tom, Durante, Serg, MC, Tim, Terance, Enda, Eamo, Tucks, Steve T, Fats & Tim C). Fellow Sydney striders and coolrunners - Uncle Dave, Superflake and Amanda. Good friends Rich Palmer and Kate Coburn. Family support has been fantastic - Big Bear, Gillo and Gerso. Must mention Ger (father in law) and my younger bro Derek for coming and supporting me in Berlin. On the way back to the hotel Derek being totally honest commented 'i think i would of bet you today!' You gotta love him. Special thanks to my beautiful pregnant wife Livo who was watching the race from London. Can't wait now to meet up tomorrow for our 10 day break in Italy - promise no running talk.
Nearly forgot! (Jesus u swear i ran a pb the way I'm banging on) but you got praise the man himself 'Haile' for such a super run and world record. I was pretty close to him at the start, he was all smiles for the fans just before his assault at the world record.
See you on the road,

Kanser

6 comments:

Enda said...

Bad luck mate, but its still been a cracking year with new 10k PB's and an amazing C2S time so I wouldn't be too disappointed. Looking forward to getting out on the road with you when you get back

David said...

Dave - It's been terrific reading your build up to the race.Great credit to you for useing the dissapointment for inspiration next time and to run 2;40.

Superflake said...

Better luck next time Dave.Have fun in Italy. Come back stronger next time mate. You will run 2:40!

Amanda said...

Sorry to read this Dave - you have had such a great running year and I'm sure that if everything had fallen into place you could have achieved your goal. All the best for your recovery and goal re-setting.

And massive congratulations to you and your wife!! That is such fantastic, exciting news.

David Criniti said...

Commiserations mate,

Hopefully it's not long until that turns into congratulations after the next run. There's certainly been plenty good ones this year, and the the pregnancy is more good news. Enjoyr the rest.

Dave

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Thanks for all the kind comments.