Sunday, September 14, 2008

That 'flat' feeling

Fri: Ran into work and at lunch went out for an easy 40 min with Gerso. Lower stomach muscle is very tight and given me a little grief. I will go for a massage on Monday and hopefully release it.

Sat: Out at around 11am and was surprised by the temps, it was around 26C. I ran from Surry Hills down to rushcutters and then ran the rest of the city to surf course. I pushed it on the hills and was surprised as the legs were feeling a little heavy. I was glad to get to beach for a quick dip. The water was freezing only 15c. Ended up going over to John Hill's shop and buying some High Five gels with caffeine as my current stock of leppin gels are out of date.

Sun: Out for a long run with Mike. Ran to centennial and we kept the pace at 4.33 for 20 odd kms. The plan was to push the last 5k at MP (3.45 k/m). I'd taken two gels (one at 8k and another at 16k) and 3km into MP pace run I got a stomach cramp. I couldn't run through it. Mike continued on and ran the last 5k in 18 mins which will give him plenty of confidence for the half next week. To be honest I never felt great on the run. I've been feeling quite lethargic of late which is a surprise as I'm in the middle of the taper.
Obviously I won't take high five gels and will revert back to leppins thanks to Enda who has some spare stock. The high five gels are made up of simple carbs which give you an instant lift and the leppin gels are made up of complex carbs with a slow release of energy. I'd no issue with the leppin gels in Tokyo so i will use them for Berlin.
Will cut back the kms again this week and hopefully get a spring back in my step.
Great to hear Terence Bell win the 100km Glasshouse run up in Queensland. Very impressive given he didn't train for the event. He just decided mid-week to head up and give it a crack.

No comments: