Thursday, September 4, 2008

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

Mon: 10k recovery run. I was pretty tired and the calves were very tight after the race on Sunday.

Tues: Out with the HuRT Squad for 3 mins reps with 1 min standing recovery, I could only manage 10 as I needed to get back to work. The first 2 reps I ran on my own at 3.18 pace and I didn’t get a chance to recover for the 3rd rep so I just ran with Muz in 3.20. The rest of the reps were run a little quicker ranging from 3.08 – 3.12 pace. I was probably a few metres ahead of Muz for most of the reps but he looked to be running them very easy. I expect him to run very well in North Head on Sat (close to 33 min or maybe he will dip under it). Clarkey and Killacoat were running very strongly in front of me. Killacoat went out hard for each rep but Clarkey caught him on each rep.

PM: Out with Gerso for a 3k rep session. With an eye on Saturday’s race, Gerso opted for 2 reps and ran then at the first at 4.28 and the second one at 4.30 pace. Gerso is also hitting North Head and I’ve no doubt she will run another pb. All up 10k.

Wed: After missing out on a decent long run, I got out early on Wednesday, after a 9k warm-up (Rich Palmer joined me for most of it) the plan was for a 16k at marathon pace (3.50 pace for the 1st loop and 3.45 for the second loop). I wasn’t looking forward to the run as my legs felt very heavy during the warm-up. Tim Lindop joined myself and Rich for the 16k run. We seemed to be running into a headwind for most of the session. Rich wasn’t feeling great and dropped out at 5k. Tim took a break and joined again at 8k for 2k and at 13k for the last 3k effort. Great to have Tim there for the last 3k. Happy to keep the planned pace on very tired legs. All up 27k.

In the evening, headed out for a good few beers with Tom, Rich P and Phil Dove. Plenty of running talk and according to Phil I need to sort my nutrition big time for Berlin. Phil is heading back to London but I’m sure I’ll see him on the road again.

Thurs:
Out early with Gerso, Gillo & Big Bear (who is back running and looking bigger than ever). Gerso opted for 6 by 400s with the Bear and I decided to sprint the straights and jog the bends (8 laps in total). It was a relatively easy session and it finished up quite early which gave me plenty of time to get back to the gym and get some strength work in.
One more long run (36k) left before the taper. I will push the last 8k so I might get some of the boys out to help me..

No comments: