Thursday, September 8, 2011

More speed

Wed
Ran into work & Easy 12k run all on my own

Thurs
10 by 800s (with the HuRTs boys, it wasn't 800m, the avg my garmin picked up 784m)
My first rep was 2.35, I held the next few at 2.33 and then got a little quicker. To be honest, i sat a few meters behind Tim for the remainder and just ahead of Paul McC who just pipped Tim last week. Felt good on the last one and ran over the top of Tim for a 2.23 finish. Tom was flying at the front, JOno and Tucks were cruising for the majority. TIm I must admit was pretty quiet at the end of the session. Basically ran off to collect his cones and was on his bike until I stopped him for a quick chat. He was very upset when I told him I was away for the weekend, initially I pulled his leg and told him I was going to a training camp with Sean's crew 'you're doing far too much Dave', then I told him the truth that I was bringing the 'good wife' away for the weekend. Well 'so who's going to make me breaky?'. Anyhow told him that I will be back early on Sunday and drop over for breaky and if he's keen we can go for a 90 min run in the arvo.
Will continue to focus on speed, I'm back reading the auld running books/mags again and I've decided I will take a slightly different approach to the typical race build up (base, threshold, speed, peak) to something that Sean has also successfully used I think with Vatman (base, speed, threshold, peak). So during the speed phase, I will run long but a tad slower. On Tues (I run with Tim & TB - 400s as per Zatopek ), Thurs (800s, 1200s or 1600s basically whatever Tom schedules). & Sat (200s by 16/20). If I can I will spin on the bike (purely to activate the fast twitch and try to incorporate some strides into my easy runs.
Must get onto Beermats blog, he was wondering what pace to run his tempo runs at, basically half marathon pace for 20 mins but every 5 mins extra you run a tad slower otherwise you are racing your tempo sessions. Daniels book the 'running formula' has a great table based on your current V02 max/race pace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mate good to see you are getting back into the books and starting to get a bit of form. have a read of 'Brain Training for Runners' Matt Fitgerald. I think you will enjoy it. Cheers RP

saint said...

More speed is needed for sure: big bear burning kanser around the edge for the try? No more 400's kid: time for some 40's.