Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hobart calling

Well I took me more or less a week to get over the manflu last week, I did manage to get out for an easy run on Friday and a 90 min run on Saturday. Didn’t get time to get out for a run on Sunday.

Mon:
11k easy with the HuRTs Squad at 4.25 km/m

Tues:AM – Out with TB, Enda and JC for a 400 session. I managed 16 reps avging 77 secs off rolling every 2 mins. TB was miles out in front running the reps in 72, he managed to bang out 22 reps. Enda and JC managed to run the 25. Happy to get through the session without killing myself. If you read Timmy version of events, I was on my knees at the end of the session.

Lunch: Joined mid way through the HuRTs progressive tempo session. They were 20 mins into the session and I joined the Clyde and Peter Walker group. Ran relatively steady back to the stone gates. Tired at the end of the session and i’m sure the mornings earlier effort had a impact. Timmy is not looking in great shape, he reckons he’s finished for the rest of the year and I think he’s right. On the other extreme, TB is flying and I am very confident he will run 2.35 in Melbourne.

Wed:
Nice 10k in the run in the rain at lunch...love running in the rain..!

I’ve decided to run the Hobart marathon in January, there’s 15 weeks left which gives me plenty of time to get into descent shape. The key races in the build up that will give me an indication of how i am progressing are
- 10k on 6th November
- ½ marathon in the central coast 27th Nov

I will pull together a plan this evening, interestingly I have pulled together many plans for friends/colleagues’ for the marathon but I am terrible at following my own plan. The key at the moment is to get speed in the legs hence the focus on 400s/800s. The long run is key, i will start at 2 hrs this weekend and start to get a medium long run (80 min-90 mins) in on Wednesdays. I will build up the latter run over the next few weeks.

Essentially I will break the plan into 3 stages
Stage 1 Oct [speed with slow long runs on the w/e]
Stage 2 Nov [More focus on Lactate Threshold with pace increasing slightly for the long runs]
Stage 3 Dec [Marathon pace efforts with some V02 sessions]

No comments: