Friday, August 21, 2009

Sidelined..

Went to a few different docs during the week as my back, glut and hip were all aching! I have SI Joint Dysfunction which will sideline me for up to 6 weeks. Like every runner out there you go through a cycle of denial, hopelessness, acceptance and finally to embrace. I am at the hopelessness stage and I'm not sure how one embraces an injury. I was hoping to cross train but the injury needs to settle before I can do anything.
I had a good chat to Terence Bell last night and he reckons I should pack it in for a while, swim a little, walk a little, drink a little more and maybe party a bit...reckons I shouldn't party with young Timmy as I may never run again. Will take that break and see you on the road sometime in the future.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dave, Sorry to hear your OUT for a few weeks, but more sympathy for Liv who has got to listen to you - Take Terrance's advise and get out on the beer - i hear Mr Durante is lining up a night out soon for the boys, Best get that pool form up to scratch though(mind you don't know who is game enough to be your partner) :)

Superflake said...

Bad Luck Dave. Hope it recovers faster than you think.

Unknown said...

Just enjoy having fun on a Saturday night without worrying about how you're going to feel running at 6am the next day. And when you start back it's great to feel stronger every run.
Apart from that it's a real pisser though.

David said...

Tough Luck Dave!
I agree with the sentiment, the best thing to do is make the best out of a bum deal (pun intended), enjoy a beer and not feel guilty, enjoy the extra family time, set yourself other goals. Time will quickly pass and with your young bones you'll be 'right as rain' in no time! It would be interesting to compare Stressy MRI's, mine is here; http://runningmasters.blogspot.com/2009/03/left-posterior-ilium.html

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Dave,
I will get the MRI scanned and send it onto you. It's a stress fracture on the right iliac bone. The physio reckons I should do nothing for 3 wks and then we can talk about rehab. I've no intention of rushing back and will wait until i'm ready. I reckon I will be back running after xmas. These thing take approx 3-4 mths to heal properly.