Tuesday, August 11, 2009

City to Surf 49:16

Another year and another C2S. To be quite honest it was a pretty ordinary finish time for me. I know I am capable of much more but with my calf issues of late I was glad to run sub 50.
I had a massage on Thurs and Fri before the race that helped me get to the start line. In fact I felt quite good on Sunday morning when I ran a few strides outside the house to test the calf.
I took off pretty quick getting to the Sheaf (3k) in 9:58 but felt pretty heavy legged coming out of double bay. I got to the 5k marker in 16.52 (approx 12 secs behind last yrs time).
I was running strongly approaching heartbreak but when the hills hit I had nothing...legs were heavy and that stage I decided to pull back a little. To be honest, I needed to push back. I just hadn't got the legs for it. Andy and Jon flew by me at 7k and I tried to pick up the pace after HB but it didn't happen. Floods of people kept coming by me. I got to 10k in 35.40 and at that stage I knew I had sub 50 in the bag and I made I a conscious decision to enjoy the rest of the race into Bondi.
I was not the only one to perform poorly in the HuRTs squad (i won't mention names as you all know who you are), to be honest Andy and Jon ran well and Ben of course who placed 2nd overall. I can't call him a HuRT member really as he just comes out on Wed for MLRs.
My body was pretty sore (calf and trapped nerve in my glut) after the race. I need to take a few days off before my body lets me get on the road again...

5 comments:

Superflake said...

You'll be back next year to kick a few butts to Bondi. Good run with a dodgy calf.

Anonymous said...

What Dodgy calf would that be?.....Havn't heard of it before, tell us more?

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

I was looking at the video of Enda Stankard coming across the line and there I am clapping...waiting for auld Timmy Lindop to come across the line...no sign of him!!!! Did he finish at all..

Anonymous said...

That's it.......Not reading this blog any longer, It's time to switch on to SBS for David Stratton and Margaret Pomeranz for my weekly movie fix - and to switch to Tom's blog to find out whats happening on the running front,
Come to think of it Dave.....What are you actually doing these days??? :)

Anonymous said...

He's baking muffins and cookies !