Monday, July 2, 2012

DNF

Well the title says it all!! I failed to finish the Gold Coast marathon. After what I consider excellent prep it all fell apart on the day. I had a very good week leading into the race (typical race nerves and a sore throat) but come race day I was feeling pumped and ready to race.
So where did the wheels come off, well from the start my stomach wasnt feeling great. In hindsight I probably overdid it on the fluid intake. I was concerned a little about the weather so I think I took in too much fluids prior to the race.
During the race, I was ticking off 3.45's relatively easy and I was thinking my stomach will great better the longer the race goes on. I had a pitt stop at 20k approx and vomitted up a little fluid. I was thinking now is time to buckle down and chase sub 2.40. At around 22-23k, my left calf started to cramp up...after that the race was over. I limped back to the start line...!!! Disappointed as I've never DNF a marathon before. Life goes on and I'm sure I'll bounce back and run another...
Some great performances out there most notably Tom Highnam's 2.34 and Kate Coburn's 2.55. Both kids don't run a poor race so hats off to them. Chalks also had a sterling debut running 3.08.

2 comments:

David said...

Sorry to hear that Dave, but I'm sure you can still make some good use of your good form and put that one behind you.

Cheers

BeerMatt said...

Unlucky Dave. As David says I reckon you'll run some very quick times on the back of your training so all is not lost. BTW, the Stone Roses were incredible!